1.23.2012

Sarah Chois rule the world


In my high school class, I remember there were 6 Sarahs. Sarah on student govt, hot Sarah, athletic Sarah, Sarah something, some other Sarah I didn't know very well, and... me. But back then, I was the only known "Sarah Choi".

In '04, I joined Facebook when it was still in it's infancy. I searched for "Sarah Choi", and with only a handful of colleges in the network, low and behold, there were 5 of us sprawled across America. I friended them all. One messaged back, "Hey! Have we met??" Hmm. Not the brightest of us.

Later that year, as my friend was signing me in at his dorm lobby, he asks, "Hey, did you sign in already?" Scrawled on the last box: "Sarah Choi". My friend yells, "SARAH CHOI!!" and a girl at the elevator whips around. She had graduated just before I started and was visiting a friend.

When Facebook reared its ugly head to the global world, I started getting requests from people I had never met. At first, I would respond back. By now I have stopped responding to all Facebook, LinkedIn, and yes, even Google+ requests for some other "Sarah Choi". I tried, I really did. But there are too many to keep up.

My senior year, we were doing freshman outreach during Welcome Week. Sitting at the table on Sproul, my friend says, "Yo, stop signing yourself in to make our list look longer." But I had not. Later that week, as I traipsed the hallways of Unit 3, I look at a door and written on that piece of construction paper... can you guess? "Sarah Choi". She wasn't home that day, nor did she end up joining our fellowship. Nor did she reply to my welcome to Cal email. Bringing us down, Sarah. Was it because your new friends kept finding me instead of you on Facebook?

When I joined Google, a "Sarah Choi - Finance" started receiving many of my emails. There was even one time she received my postal package (shipped to Mountain View, then to Seoul, then back to Mountain View, then finally to NYC). "Sarah Choi - Finance" is no longer at Google, but now there is a "Sara Choi - YouTube".

A few days ago, I posted some stuff to sell craigslist. Here's one of the replies:



To all you Sarah Chois out there, I hope you share my love for our name as much as you share my actual name.

No comments: